Sunday, November 16, 2014

Blog Post #13

What did I leave out?

Over the course of this semester Dr. Strange had the EDM classes utilize a number of technologies to better the education of our future student. The technologies ranged from Blogger, Smart Boards, and iPads as well as a variety of other technology. For my area of study, Secondary Education specializing in English I never thought before that technology would play such a big role in my classroom. Before this class I believed that my students would merely read from books, discuss, put pen to paper, and type their assignments on Word Processor. However, through the course of this semester Dr. Strange has presented new technologies that would be resourceful when considering certain types of lesson plans or even to just enhance the lesson as a whole. I do not believe Dr. Strange left anything out more so that he focused mainly on Mac products which I did not mind, I was at first unfamiliar with. I think that I would use the following three products most in my classrooms due to the importance of project and team based learning and how the two can enhance English Education.

Padlet: Padlet allows students to post on a wall to create and collaborate. The students could in turn elaborate ideas from literature readings. Take a group quiz. Or even practice vocabulary and definitions back and forth. As well, if a student couldn't come to class they can log in and add to the discussion even from home.

 
 
Popplet: Popplet is another great resource I can use with my students. Here they can use an interactive word web and add ideas or thoughts with their group to better understand the central idea. This can be used in literature studies, vocabulary, or even with grammar usage. This is a fun collaborative tool that can help students formulate ideas and keep them organized.
 
 
 
Google Docs: This is by far my favorite technology to use. It is helpful to see who is working on the document as a group and who is not participating. This app allows you to make a presentation much similar to PowerPoint and share it with either your teacher, other students, or publish it to your blog. Google Docs is a great way to never lose your work as well. You can save it to your drive and either email or share it with your teacher so that you do not lose points for leaving either your flash drive or hard copy at home.
 
 
With these tools along with many others that continuously are being made and innovated I can enhance and further engage my students so that they won't be taught the way I was. This way they will be more effective learners and will go out into the world with not only more knowledge but with skills to help them in the future.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I enjoyed your post. I think that those resources should be taught more, especially Popplet and Padlet because I do not know too much about it. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. The assignment was to write a blog post assignment Dr. Strange left out and then to complete the assignment.

    ReplyDelete