Thursday, January 15, 2015

Blog Post #1

pinterest.com
What About EDM 310?

Approaching a new semester with new classes and new curriculum to master is always troubling. When faced with a course that has furrowed many brows and brought about frantic episodes of checking blogs, marking off on the checklist, tweaking videos, and commenting it is easy to see why many may be hesitant to proceed in taking this class. Many students that I have encountered have put it off as long as they could in order to not endure the "torturous" workload.

However, I have taken this course already and with the hesitation and fear taken out of the equation I am now able to move forward. I previously lacked the time management skills and an open mind to all of the new ideas Dr. Strange was teaching us. I will be honest, of course, I was very uncertain of the role technology would play in my classes as an English Education Major. This predisposition was brought on by watching other English teachers and countless other creative writing courses remain constant with their use of the hard-cover book, pen, and paper. I was certain that this could and would be the only way I would teach my classes.

I now have no fears in my abilities to perform well in EDM 310 this semester. Now, being able to have an open mind, I will be able to be open to collaborative learning. My favorite line from Dr. Strange was that "you will not teach the way you were taught". At first I did not understand this and after falling down throughout the semester I came to the conclusion that I had to change. The way I was taught is a past form of learning. To become a constant learner and educator I must adapt and enhance my learning and teaching styles to fit the ever changing world of learning. Only then will I be able to ensure the utmost productivity and outcome for my students to continue on as life-long learners.

EDM 310 is definitely not your average class. In high school, I was able to sleep through a lecture or put myself on "auto-pilot" and still make a B+ or higher with little or no effort. In college, even in my favorite courses-Composition and Literature, I have been able to skirt by without being truly challenged by a content driven lesson. EDM 310 is in its own right a unique course that enables one to truly challenge their own abilities to research, create, and collaborate. Before my first attempt at EDM 310 I never knew how to effectively collaborate within a group of different individuals. I am, however, an effective team member or leader in the military sense from my Army ROTC training. However, as I've learned, not every team is a squad and yet again I had to adapt. This class is challenging; but, it is a new and in depth way of learning. Easily summed up to being called more depth than breath.

The most difficult part of any course for a college student is Time Management. Throughout my military training with the Army ROTC I have attained many skills that will prove to be crucial to my success. I believe any issues that arise this semester can easily be solved by following these points:


  • Never be afraid to ask for help.
  • Knowing the deadline does not mean wait until then!
  • Adapt to changes in routine.
  • Be open to new ideas, even if at first they are alien to you.
  • Have fun with everything you do.
  • Make it your own.
This course is a solid and fun course. I do wish in retrospect I treated it as such. However, like the old saying goes, "hindsight is 20/20". I wish everyone luck! Take a deep breath! We all can do well, TOGETHER! Go Jags!



No comments:

Post a Comment