Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Blog Post 2

1.) The overall theme to this video is that not only learning styles are different; but, teaching styles must be adaptable to the subjects to have the highest efficiency of retention by students. I do concur with his views being that English, my area of focus, is becoming more and more difficult with the technological advances that take away from pen to paper writing. As well as lack of writing skills the face to face, verbal communications portion of English courses is vastly changing due to technology changing the way people communicate both in and out of the classroom. I do believe that his example of "What Not To Do" was a good one. I would never agree with not preparing students with the essential tools in order to complete tasks and tests of knowledge that I am responsible with conveying to them.
2.) Roberts infers about "What it means to be a teacher in the 21st Century?", I believe his main focus is engaging with the students along with making it challenging as well as relevant to the young learners. With all of the growing venues that make technology and portals within it the first source of information as opposed to teachers and other educational forums it is a growing struggle to maintain validity of information as well as proper citations that could lead to piracy or other plagiarism issues. I believe Roberts is adamant about adapting to the change in education and that others should heed the issues it may bring because of the easiness of access everyone has to the internet. As an educator I will have to adapt and engage further with students so that they feel challenged and the assignments remain relevant in the changing world they are accustomed to.
3.) The networked student still needs a guide to rummage through the piles of information they will be faced with when searching for answers to their inquiries. It is the teachers job to direct and teach students about the venues by which they can move towards their goal. I enjoyed this video I concur with their views. Though depending on the school's resources it may or may not be difficult for the students to achieve.
4.) Davis is trying to make a more technologically forward community in her rural town. By connecting the students with others around the world they are instilled with a more open mind than the world they grew up knowing. I believe this is a huge step forward to connecting the youth of the world.
5.) I definitely believe the younger generation has a head start on the learning race being that they are unhindered in their resources of technology. However, the undergraduate and graduate level students have ample opportunity to catch up and become more acquainted with new and improving technology.
6.) I would love to use the flipping method in one of my English classes to help instill that independent learning onto my students. This provides them with the skills to become more responsible and accountable for knowledge they will need for the following days class.
7.) Comparing sports to classrooms is great to incorporate a team.

3 comments:

  1. LATE

    No use of breaks.

    Did not include an outline of Roberts' video as required.

    " I do concur with his views being that English, my area of focus, is becoming more and more difficult with the technological advances that take away from pen to paper writing." You what? I don't think the author of Mr. Dancealot ever mentioned English as a subject matter or as something to be taught. I am correct in believing that you think technology has made the teaching "more difficult" because technology advances "ake away from pen to paper writing." What do you mean? How does that happen? Why does the move from pencil and paper used for writing to technology used for writing make teaching writing more difficult? I believe I can make an excellent argument that technology radically improves the teaching of writing.

    Wordy. Needs thorough editing. It appears to me that the preparation of this post was very rushed. The writing quality is certainly not what I would expect from one who intends to teach writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need any help with keeping up with our work in EDM310, I am here to help! My tips would be to constantly check your email and keep a copy of the checklist, it comes in great handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your feedback Dr. Strange.


    Thank you, as well, Meagan! I definitely am still having some difficulties adjusting. I will take all of the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete